Jun 25, 2013

Applause or AppallWhat happens when you put PR first

I recently returned from a family vaca to Holiday Island, Arkansas, and on the way there I reluctantly  picked up (because I had nothing better to read since I had just finished my latest Charlaine Harris book) Delta's complimentary Sky magazine June issue. I typically don't like reading airlines' travel magazines because I find them incredibly ad-heavy, and that really turns me off.

But since my options were limited (no way in hell I'm reading the other choice–Sky Mall– gag!) I skimmed through and found a really great piece on how Alabama-based PR and advertising agency Big Communications reinvigorated the state's brand by putting PR first in their content strategy.

John Montgomery is quoted in the article explaining that "The biggest brands in the world are starting to wake up and realize the necessity of a content strategy that thinks PR first."

While many big-time brands have prospered over the decades with a balance of PR, advertising and marketing techniques, as a PR practitioner I believe a balance of the three are essential for success But I feel a PR strategy and/or tactics should be incorporated into any campaign or plan, but not always vice versa. Public Relations is a very powerful and influential means to inform, educate, attract and motivate. A form of communication with the ability to offer that much impact deserves to be taken seriously and considered when you want to gain attention and awareness.

I was so intrigued by the article that I decided to check out the website for myself–great writing, couldn't find the author–I was REALLY impressed. It's immediately eye catching, filled with interesting content, but not over-bearing. I know right where my eyes should go when the pages load.

Check it out for yourselves. http://www.madeinalabama.com. Big round of applause for Alabama Department of Commerce.





No comments:

Post a Comment